Primary Ethics is an independent not-for-profit organisation delivering an engaging, age-appropriate, interconnected philosophical ethics curriculum to children in Kindergarten to Year 6. We provide this free of charge via a network of trained and accredited volunteer teachers. Ethics classes have been enthusiastically adopted in over 500 schools in NSW and we take pride in our reputation as an effective and well-regarded education provider within the public school system.
We currently have a staff of 9 (7.5FTE) managing approaching 2800 volunteer teachers, coordinators and regional managers across NSW.
This is a temporary, part-time role, working out of our office in Potts Points (very close to Kings Cross station). The role is currently for five days a week, three hours per day and temporary for four months. There is the possibility that this role may be extended beyond the initial four month period.
The role reports to the Volunteering Manager.
Support new recruits, existing volunteers and returning volunteers to ensure that they move smoothly through background checks, induction and training.
- Enrol approved applicants in relevant online induction modules
- Validate background checks for new recruits
- Issue reminders to new recruits about outstanding induction modules, background checks and workshop enrolment (session date)
- Provide technical and administrative support to new recruits during induction
- Work with volunteering managers to assess returning (inactive) teachers to identify what is required before volunteers can return to active teaching
- Verify WWC renewals for current volunteers and that background checks are still valid for returning teachers
- Enrol returning teachers in relevant online Continuing Professional Development (CPD) modules
- Work with the Training Administrator to assess participant demand for teacher training workshops – metro, urban and rural
- Manage communications with new recruits and returning teachers about their progress through background checks, online induction and CPD
- Update ethics coordinators on recruit progress so that ethics coordinators can liaise with their school about likely start dates
Skills and Experience
The role requires a mix of organisational skills and sensitive relationship management.
- Strong customer service focus with an engaging and friendly personal manner – in particular, diplomacy to converse with people at all levels of seniority and from diverse backgrounds whilst still being effective
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of PC literacy and confidence in an online environment
- Capable of learning new processes and systems quickly
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to remain composed under pressure
- Willingness to follow process and take direction
- Previous experience with Learning Management Systems, in particular Janison CLS
- Experience of working with volunteers
Candidates should understand and support our mission to provide philosophical ethics classes for children in NSW public primary schools and be committed to professionalism in all aspects of their work.
As a charity, Primary Ethics cannot offer market salaries but we do offer flexibility and a friendly work environment. Remuneration will be negotiated with the successful candidate and will be approximately $60K (pro rata), including superannuation.
We encourage talented, resilient and motivated applicants from different backgrounds, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, people with disabilities, and people re-entering the workforce.
Please send a Cover Letter explaining why you think you would be a good fit for this role, along with your CV, to John Burgess, Volunteering Manager Primary Ethics, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close 5pm Friday 30 August.